This year obviously has been filled with changed plans and disappointments. As Christmas approaches this would be the time that we would be going to see the Nutcracker in person but unfortunately that is not happening this year.
So what’s a mom with some Nutcracker loving kiddos do?! Bring the magic home! Both my kids love American Girl dolls and they play so cute together so when I saw the new Nutcracker collection I saw how perfect they would be to add to our at home festivities.
Stripe Sweater (size down if in-between, M) | Jeans | Pointed Toe Flats in chili (size up 1/2) | AG Nutcracker Costumes | Joss Doll | Truly Me Boy Doll
American Girl is one of those gifts that I know my daughter will love now but are always in demand and can be passed down to friends and family when she grows out of this doll phase. For now I’m holding on to every last year that she loves it!
Now the other thing I picked up to make The Nutcracker come alive at home are these custom made sugar cookies. It was the first time I had ordered from this Etsy seller and y’all I was floored by the intricate detail and quality of cookie. Now I know they are pricy but they come individually wrapped. Unfortunately this shop has sold out for the 2020 holiday season but check back in the new year for what I can imagine to be beautiful treats for Valentines Day!
Santa Girls Tunic | Boys Santa Tee
Reindeer Slippers | Faux Fur Stockings| Small pre-lit Tree | Reindeer Stocking Holders | Similar Wood Frame Christmas Sign
Now once they are filled with treats it’s time to watch the main show! There are a few options that you can stream in your home:
- St. Louis Ballet Act One is filled with performance footage from last year’s production and Act Two brings you brand new footage filmed specifically for this virtual event with safety in mind for the performers and no audience, it features the 2020 roster of SLB Dancers. Links for each performance are sent one day prior to the event and is free with a suggested donation to the ballet company.
- New Paltz Ballet Theatre is hosting a free showing of The Nutcracker. Their video premieres on Christmas Eve at 7 p.m. EST. It will be available to watch on the theater’s Youtube channel through January 1.
- New York City Ballet will stream a special performance of George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker with Marquee TV. You can get a free 30 day trial when you view this performance.
- San Francisco Ballet is offering an interactive virtual experience from a 2008 prerecording. You can stream their performance in HD, take a virtual tour of the opera house, learn Nutcracker choreography and more. Their virtual experience is available now and tickets begin at $49.
- Pacific Northwest Ballet will also stream their version of the Christmas classic. The PNB’s version of George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker will be available for streaming from December 18th through the 26th for $39.
Professional Images by Audrie Dollins
This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own! Read more about my site, privacy, and disclosure policies here.